It’s gloomy, you’ve built as many pillow and blanket forts in your living room as you possibly can, you’ve played “hot lava” so much you’ve squished all your couch cushions and throw pillows beyond recognition, and worst of all you’ve run out of wine (or beer or whiskey). You need a change of scenery, to get outdoors, to find new ways of entertaining yourself and your kids, did I mention you’ve run out of wine? There is a solution to your winter doldrums twenty minutes outside Kansas City! Weston, Missouri has enough to entertain the family for hours, or even a few days. We’ve compiled a ten point list of ways to enjoy January in Weston, Missouri.
10. Snow Creek offers skiing, snowboarding, and for those concerned about breaking a hip, tubing. Nothing says winter fun like barreling down a hill of sparkling snow! Bring your hat, your gloves, your coat and your courage and fling yourself into winter with wild abandon! It’s a great time for the whole family.
9. Weston Bend State Park is open year round for hiking, biking, and jogging. The three mile paved trail is a perfect way for beginners to enjoy the winter beauty of the park and get some excercise (Christmas cookies, anyone? ). If you’re a little more experienced you can hike one of the many trails or make your own, you can hike all the way to the Missouri river, it’s a grand sight in winter.
8. Weston, Missouri is not your living room. Getting out of your own space and going somewhere new is always a great pick-me-up. Also, we have restaurants and booze.
7. Bed and Breakfasts are a fun way to get away for a few days, and we host some of the best in the state. Each one is warm and cozy, with delightful owners and delicious breakfasts to get you fortified for the day.
6. So much history! Our museums, antebellum homes, Lewis and Clark trails, and refurbished buildings are a fascinating part of Missouri history. Did you know the river used to run right through town? Come find out more!
5. Let us entertain you, let us make you smile…the pub has music year-round, national and regional artists play Thursday-Sunday, and you get to go down into a cave. Technically spelunking is a hobby/sport so you’ve gotten your exercise. We also have opportunities for wine tastings, and corks and canvas events where you drink and paint. (Remember, you’ve run out of wine.)
4. We have a lot of food. A. Lot. Of. Food. There are seven restaurants downtown, a bar and grill on the highway, as well as an artisan bakery. Make your grandmother happy and “eat something, you look too thin”.
3. You’ve run out of booze. We have booze. There are several wineries open for tastings, as well as the famed McCormick Distillery shop. We have a local brewery, as well as shops that sell a variety of liquors and mixers. Don’t forget, you need booze to build more pillow forts.
2. Variety is what it’s all about (that and the Hokey Pokey) and Weston has that in spades! Want some clothing no one else will be wearing? Weston. Unusual furnishings? Weston. One of a kind gifts? Weston. Our shops are entertaining in their own right, and a fun way to shop small business.
1. The number one reason to visit Weston, Missouri is The Celtic Ranch. We have it all! (Not skiing or hiking, but we do have a forest in the back). Warm sweaters,wool socks, gifts, extraordinary jewelry (Valentines day is just around the corner), events (click this link for information on our next tasting) and an expertly curated assortment of whiskeys,scotches wines and liquors. Remember, you’re out of booze, now is the time to stock up, those forts won’t build themselves and “hot lava” is more fun to play after a little tipple.